- In early October, start preparing the soil of your raised bed or plot by pulling up weeds and any dead old plants. They will need plenty of space!
- Give it a dig over and break up any big clumps of soil and remove stones. (If your soil is heavy or sticky clay, go here)
- Mix in sheep manure or compost from your compost heap to give the soil a boost in nutrients.
Planting the Seed
- At the end of October, dig holes 2 meters apart 5cm deep (they will sprawl).
- Place 2 seeds in each hole and cover with soil. If you don’t have space, plant 1 metre apart and prune once pumpkins start forming.
- Water seeds every day until seedlings emerge. After that, water just to keep the soil moist.
- Seedlings will emerge in 7-10 days
- Choose a spot with plenty of sunshine and lots of space.
- They will be ready to harvest in Autumn, when the leaves start to die down.